Making Waves is proud to be collaborating with the following organisations which share the goal of encouraging listeners to discover Australian composers and recordings and performances of their music. If you or your organisation would like to partner with Making Waves Contact Us with your ideas. We’d love to chat, and there are some more interesting discussions and possibilities in the pipelines.
Australian Sounds, 3MBS – Radio
In 2016 selected tracks featured by Making Waves will be broadcast on the Australian Sounds program, 3MBS Fine Music Melbourne. In addition to airplay for the music, each month the Australian Sounds team broadcast an interview with one of our featured composers. Interviews are available online as streamable/downloadable podcasts for 3MBS members to listen to anytime, and for non-members access is for 7 days following broadcast. Interviews so far in 2016:
- 5/02/2016 Interview with Making Waves Co-Curator Lisa Cheney.
- 4/03/2016 Interview with featured composer Chris Williams.
- 8/04/2016 Interview with featured composer Eli Simic-Prosic.
- 6/05/2016 Interview with featured composer Caerwen Martin.
- 13/06/2016 Interview with featured composer Susan Hawkins.
- 12/08/2016 Interview with featured composer Cameron Lam.
- 21/10/2016 Interview with featured composer Elissa Goodrich.
With thanks to Leah Blankendaal, Zoe Barker, Andrew Aronowicz and the 3MBS team.
Australian Sounds, 3MBS, Fridays 10pm-midnight (AEST).
Tune in live in Melbourne over the airwaves to 103.5FM, or online at: http://3mbs.org.au/player/player.html
Catch up on past programs: http://3mbs.org.au/programs/australian-sounds/
Recently we began an exciting collaboration with Matthew Lorenzon from Partial Durations. In April 2016, Matthew initiated a monthly podcast series that delves deeper in the works of our featured composers via fascinating interviews. Now you can listen to the Making Waves playlist then jump over to the Partial Durations podcast for an in-depth discussion, or vice-versa, hear the podcast first then the full work. The series so far:
- Episode 4: Sky Jammer 22/09/2016 7:42 PMLike all good neo-noir dystopias, the city of Michael Bakrnčev’s Sky Jammer has roots in contemporary urban life. In this episode I speak with Bakrnčev about property speculation, Macedonian folk dances, and conflicting advice in his Cybec 21st Century Australian Composers commission. Thanks to the ABC and the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra for giving us permission … Continue reading Episode 4: Sky Jammer →
- Episode 3: The Ties That Bind Us 07/06/2016 9:41 AMMusical egg shells, a dancing pianist, and a long-distance collaborative relationship all feature in this month’s podcast. The composer Samantha Wolf, dancer Gemma Dawkins, and pianist Alex Raineri discuss their piece The Ties That Bind Us for Kupka’s Piano’s program The Human Detained. Thanks to Sam, Gemma, and Alex for the recording used in this episode. … Continue reading Episode 3: The Ties That Bind Us →
- Episode 2: Waiting for the Storm to Break 03/05/2016 11:47 AMIt’s a still, hot night in Brisbane and you can’t get to sleep. Jakob Bragg composes waiting for the rain. Thanks to the Queensland Philharmonia Orchestra for the recording in this episode. Thanks also to Marshall McGuire and Jess Wells for letting me use the beginning of Muntu Walunga as the Partial Durations theme! … Continue reading Episode 2: Waiting for the Storm to Break →
- Episode 1: Muntu Walunga 04/04/2016 9:34 PMThe composer Jessica Wells discusses Muntu Walunga, her piece for solo harp inspired by Bakongo mythology and the extended harp techniques of Carlos Salzedo.
CutCommon is an independently run classical and new music magazine, with a fantastic team of writers sharing the latest industry news and reviews. As well as being a hub of quality music writing, CutCommon runs a Digital Music Store populated by emerging and independent composers, and where you can purchase scores for many of the works featured in Making Waves playlists.
CutCommon also sells essential music supplies: When we ran the Making Conversation crowdfunding campaign in April-May 2016, we were delighted to work with CutCommon to be able to offer their beautiful Australian made and recycled manuscript books as one of the reward options for supporters of the campaign.
Australian Music Centre
We’re delighted to let you know that you can now keep up with Making Waves programming via the Australian Music Centre eNews. Each month in the Australian Music on Air section, featured composers are listed. Subscribe to the eNews or become a member of the Australian Music Centre: www.australianmusiccentre.com.au